Sabbatical In Israel

January through April 2006 I was on sabbatical in Israel. I was based in Jerusalem at Tantur Ecumenical Institute for Theological Studies (www.come.to/tantur). This blog was initiated as a way for the inspiring members of my congregation to experience something of my "sacred time away."

Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, January 07, 2006

ARRIVED IN JERUSALEM


I knew I would love it here when the program director suggested we retire after dinner to the "Bethlehem Room" for coffee and chocolate! It's a great world we're living in.

I arrived at Tantur Institute without mishap. On the "shared taxi" (called a sherut) ride from the airport in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem (which took about 45 minutes and cost 50NIS or sheckels = $12.50CAN) I met an American women returning to Jerusalem to continue her volunteer work among the poor. She tells me that 25% of the population in the city of Jerusalem are living below the poverty line. Through the International Christian Embassy she volunteers among those who seek help to see that they can access the basic necessities for their families. She gave me her business card and offered to be of help should I seek her out. It was a nice start to my visit to the Holy Land.

Tantur is beautifully situated on 35 acres atop a hill in the southern most part of the city of Jerusalem. From my balcony I look out over the newly opened check point to and from the West Bank. It is ituated approximately 0.5 kms away. Beyond it lies the town of Bethlehem with a population of approximately 30,000. The lights are twinking as evening falls. The traffic flows non-stop from east to west and west to east. I'm told the traffic is very calm because today is "shabbot", the Jewish Sabbath.

Already I have attended a Catholic mass next to the American Consolate in new Jerusalem. Fourteen of us gathered in the cool interior of a stone chapel while Fr. Michael McGarry (our director) held mass for those who work with NGO's (non-governmental organizations) and the consolate. There, I was introduced to a Dead Sea Scroll world scholar. I'm sure you'll hear more about that archealogical treasure in the weeks to come.

I had a brief opportunity to browse some of Tantur's grounds before the rain began to fall. They are thankful for the rain because it has been a very, very dry winter thus far with above normal temperatures. Typically, they expect to receive most of the year's rainfall from January through March. Water supplies are low and modest conservation measures are in place.

Surprisingly, I managed to achieve some "shut-eye" on the flight here and I feel quite chipper, although I will sleep well tonight I'm sure.

Thanks for all your prayers for my safe arrival in Jerusalem.

Shalom, Rev. Phil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home