Sabbatical In Israel

January through April 2006 I was on sabbatical in Israel. I was based in Jerusalem at Tantur Ecumenical Institute for Theological Studies (www.come.to/tantur). This blog was initiated as a way for the inspiring members of my congregation to experience something of my "sacred time away."

Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, January 12, 2006

THE MIDDLE EAST

Today was our first real class. It was all about understanding the Middle East way of thinking. What was emphasized most was this: "If you think you understand the Middle East situation, then you have not read enough, talked with enough people, or been here long enough. Once you are confused about the Middle East... then you are beginning to understand."

It is a complicated place to live for sure. Our director, Fr. Michael reminds us that the longer we are here, the less we will know. He advises us to keep our ears open, listen all we can, and to talk to everyone we can and to not come too quickly to any conclusions. Fr. Michael suggests that we drink in the atmosphere. We Christians have little to preach to the Muslims and Jews for our own history is not very positive. Christianity has wrought great devastation on both Jews and Muslims

We, in western civilization bring an extremely different set of values and rules to life that inform our view of life in a way that is vastly different from the Arab culture that is Israel and the surrounding countries. We tend to think we have the answer or can find the solution to each and every problem life throws at us. We believe we can shape our future, shift our destiny, and have control over our lives. At the core of Middle Eastern thought is the precept that God shapes everything, every aspect of life. When you are born, when you die, when you marry, who you marry, what job you get, etc.

The contrasts are many between the west and the east. I cannot possibly do justice to the subject. I must remember not to make assumptions, draw conclusions, and level judgements based on my view of the world alone. I must allow my thought to mingle with the notions, ideas, theologies, politics, and philosophies I will hear while in the Holy Land. Perhaps then, I will begin to appreciate the richness, the depth, the complexity, and the diversity that I find here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home