Sabbatical In Israel

January through April 2006 I was on sabbatical in Israel. I was based in Jerusalem at Tantur Ecumenical Institute for Theological Studies (www.come.to/tantur). This blog was initiated as a way for the inspiring members of my congregation to experience something of my "sacred time away."

Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Sunrise in Jerusalem - April 16, 2006

This is one of my favourite services each year. I enjoy so well the excitement everyone brings as they gather early in the morning. The very fact that we gather at such an early hour reminds us that it is an absolutely spectacular event that brings us out.

This morning I gathered at 5:30 a.m. on the Mount of Olives with about a hundred and fifty others to welcome the risen Lord with an enthusiastic singing of “Jesus Christ Is Risen Today.” The morning was cool and breezy with low clouds obscuring the horizon. In the distance the first shimmering reflections of the Dead Sea waters could be seen.

The rising sun did not disappoint us as it rose above the low clouds and greeted us with its ever vigilant message that the One of Light is indeed risen and alive, and that the entire universe is in God’s compassionate keeping.

At the end of the service we ajourned to an outdoor breakfast and a warm bonfire.

A few photos follow:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home