Sabbatical In Israel

January through April 2006 I was on sabbatical in Israel. I was based in Jerusalem at Tantur Ecumenical Institute for Theological Studies (www.come.to/tantur). This blog was initiated as a way for the inspiring members of my congregation to experience something of my "sacred time away."

Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter in Jerusalem - April 16, 2006

At 10:00 a.m. I joined the congregation of St. Andrew’s Church of Scotland for Easter worship and Holy Communion. The church was nearly full with a compliment of individuals and families from many countries around the world, even a fellow United Church of Canada minister. Rev. Clarence offered an inspiring message of hope in the midst of hardship and disappointment. It was uplifting. Each one present received a coloured Easter egg to take home.

Afterward I said my goodbyes to Clarence and his wife Joan who are both wonderfully warm, compassionate persons. I mingled with others I have come to see and greet each week. I was presented with a lithograph of the church building. While the ministry here is vastly different from that of Riverside’s, having had a local church family while in Jerusalem has been most helpful for me.

Meanwhile, back at Tantur the Easter Bunny was hard at work and had visited each of our rooms while we were out being good little pious Christians. Apparently God rewards with chocolate in the Holy Land too!

Our chef, Abed, prepared a special breakfast of hot crepes and havah bread with a coloured egg baked in the middle for each person.

Below you will see some Easter images from this morning:

























Our chef, Abed, prepared a wonderful roast lamb to celebrate Easter along with a table full of goodies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home